I don’t know about you, but I love coconut oil! It is well-known for its use as a cooking oil, but did you know that coconut oil has many beneficial and practical uses in the beauty department as well? And who doesn’t like a beauty product that works well, is multifunctional, and healthy for you at the same time? Let’s explore some of the uses for this wonderful substance.
- Moisturizer – did you know that you can use coconut oil to moisturize your face and body? Not only does it work wonders for dry skin, it’s a very light oil which means it absorbs quickly and easily into the skin, without leaving you feeling greasy. It works well for dry skin, chapped skin, and to keep your skin healthy and soft.
- Cuticles – coconut oil can be used to moisturize and gently push back cuticles. Just put a couple of drops on your fingertips and gently apply to the fingernails of the other hand. Then gently use your fingernails to push back the cuticles. It can also help keep your nails soft.
- Hair conditioner – you can actually swap your conditioner with coconut oil, for a naturally conditioned hair. Just put a little on your hands while your hair is damp, and massage throughout your hair. I wouldn’t recommend using it all the time, but once or twice a week or whatever you find works for you. Also it may take a few times of doing it to get the right amount for your hair volume; the first time i did it my hair ended up really full of it…but once i experimented a little more i found the amount that was right for me. An alternative method is to massage it into your hair and scalp a few hours before washing.
- Make-up remover – a little coconut oil on a cotton ball works extremely well for removing eye make-up. Plus, you’re moisturizing your face at the same time, and best of all, you’re not using any harsh chemicals!
- Face & body scrub – mix with an equal amount of sugar or baking soda for a healthy scrub-down.
- Anti-frizz – coconut oil has awesome anti-frizz power. I’ve actually used it in place of leave-in conditioner to tame flyaways, and it works very well. Just make sure you use very little, or a little at a time, as applying too much can make your hair look greasy. I learned this from experience lol! But it’s certainly better than heavy oils such as olive oil and the smell is exotic.
- Lip balm – coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so it makes a great lip balm. It’s very effective in healing dry, chapped skin.
- Oil pulling – coconut oil is great for oil pulling, as it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties, and some claim that it has actually boosted their immune system!
- Soap – coconut oil soap not only cleans but it actually moisturizes your skin as you wash.
- Massage – coconut oil makes a great massage oil. It takes time to soak in, and its light oil, so it doesnt leave your hands feeling all greasy.
So I hope you enjoyed learning a few of the many benefits of coconut oil. I’m sure you’ll discover that it makes a great all-around beauty product!